If wondering whether coconut oil is good for your lashes, the answer is yes, but that doesn’t mean it can extend them. Still, it has a lot of benefits. Unlike popular fake lashes and extensions, organic virgin coconut oil strengthens hair follicles while making eyelashes look soft and pretty. The Beautylectual team will explain how its safe ingredients stimulate growth, protect and nourish the skin, and prevent inflammation caused by microbes or fungi. You’ll also find the best step-by-step ways to apply it and achieve a long-lasting, healthy, and glorious eyelash look, even without full makeup.
3 Real Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has many benefits to your lashes, skin, and health, but we singled out the top three things we love most about it.
- Lashes don’t always get to their optimum length due to falling out. Coconut oil and its fatty acid will stimulate hair cell growth and allow your eyelashes to reach their full potential. It will also prevent eyelash damage, which usually happens during makeup removal.
- The predominant type of fatty acid in virgin coconut oil is lauric acid, which is antifungal and antimicrobial. Therefore, regular use of coconut oil will prevent fungal or bacterial infections of the periocular area, which is the skin around your eyes.
- Coconut oil’s fat content may also help soothe skin irritation and itching. The oil is super moisturizing, and, in addition to your lashes, it also nurtures the skin around the eyes. So, both your eyes and your skin will look silky and beautiful.
How To Treat Your Lashes With Coconut Oil
If you’re wondering how to put coconut oil on your eyelashes quickly and safely, we’ll take you through the process. In fact, we’ll provide three different application methods.
Apply the Oil Using Your Fingers
Make sure your eyes and hands are clean and dry, and then take the steps below.
- Take a smidge of coconut oil with your index finger.
- Rub it between your two forefingers.
- Close your eyes and massage the oil along your eyelash lines for about a minute.
Do this before going to sleep so that you can leave the oil overnight.
Apply It With an Eyelash Brush
Remove any makeup residue and wash your eyes before you do the following.
- Dip a (preferably new) brush into the oil container.
- Apply coconut oil to your top and bottom lashes carefully.
- Remove any excess oil with a cotton swab if necessary.
Leave it overnight so that your eyelashes absorb it completely.
Make Your Own Lash Serum in a Tube
Although you could find many over-the-counter serums with coconut oil in your nearby drugstore, they tend to be pricey and not entirely natural. Making your own eyelash serum is a safer and cheaper idea.
- Buy an empty mascara tube.
- Fill it with virgin coconut oil.
- Apply the oil every night easily with a wand.
Don’t forget to melt it first so you can pour it into the tube without difficulty.
Precautions & Warnings
Coconut allergies are extremely rare, but you can do a patch test if you’ve never used the oil. Apply a moderate amount of coconut oil on your skin and wait 24 hours to see if it will result in a local allergic reaction. If nothing happens, follow our step-by-step instructions written above. And, if you get coconut oil in your eyes, be sure to wash them immediately to avoid irritations.
We highly recommend you use 100% organic extra virgin coconut oil. Other products may contain ingredients that could cause eye inflammation or irritate the delicate skin in the periocular area.