We spend a lot of our time paying heed to different features of our body, and our nails play an essential role in making us feel good about ourselves. As women, we like to add color and shine to our fingers and toes to celebrate every occasion that comes our way. While nail polishes are a lacquer that helps decorate our nails, they tend to get thick and dry up over time. That is when Nail Polish Thinner comes to the rescue!
Nail Polish Thinner has distinctive chemicals that, when added to polish, give it a smooth texture. The formulation helps restore the consistency in the nail polish. With just a few drops, the nail thinner can help mend any polish’s consistency, making it possible to use your favorite dried-up one once again. By being easy to use, the nail polish thinners are suitable for both home and salon. Thus, if you’re in search of an ideal nail polish thinner to keep your old nail polishes well to use, look no more.
7 Best Nail Polish Thinner | Do They Work?
Nail polishes can become sticky and dry over time as they tend to evaporate when exposed to air. The thick consistency does not give the nail paint finish we often look for. Then, the only way out is to find the perfect nail polish thinner to do its magic. With the help of a polish thinner, the original consistency can be restored, giving a smooth finish to the nails.
List Of 7 Best Nail Polish Thinners
They are primarily used to dilute dried-up nail polishes and bring back near-to original consistency. The key elements used to make these solvents include butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, and isopropyl. If you’re someone who is muddled with so many options available and unsure about which one to go for, worry no more. We have suggested the seven best nail polish thinners that users love, and we hope knowing more about each of them will help you make a choice.
Beauty Secrets Thinners
The USA-based Beauty Secrets Nail Thinner is widely popular amongst many users. Not only is the product leakproof, but it also blends quickly, having an immediate effect. With just a few drops of the thinner, it adds a great consistency to the polish and is easy to use. The thinner retains the original color and thickness of the polish. Packed with a built-in dropper, it works well with dried-up nail polishes.
Beauty Secrets Nail Thinner is a vegan formulated thinner composed of three elements: heptane, ethyl acetate, and butyl acetate. Despite how well this thinner works, the product is comparatively expensive as it is made with three elements. When used with gel nail polishes, Beauty Secrets Thinners only make it thinner but do not help to fix the problem.
Why Should You Buy It?
- Comes With An In-Built Dropper: Beauty Secrets Thinner comes with an in-built dropper that makes it easy to use and ensures no wastage. The dropper aids to use only a small amount of thinner peruse.
- Easy To Use With All Brands: This thinner can be used with almost all brands of nail polishes. Made with butyl acetate, ethyl acetate, and heptane, it works well for most nail polishes and regular ones.
- Popular And Leakproof: This popular nail thinner is known for the ultimate results as it works efficiently to blend into nail polishes and bring back the dilute solution. Along with that, it is also leak-proof that helps prevent spillage of the product.
- Includes three solvents that are present in almost all regular nail polishes.
- Easy to use the product with an in-built dropper.
- Leak-proof bottle.
- It is expensive compared to other thinners since it is made with more than one solvent.
- The product does not work with gel nail polishes.
Orly Nail Lacquer Thinner
Orly Nail Lacquer Thinner is a multipurpose product used as a nail polish thinner and to clean brushes. Its effective formula is simple to apply, giving a beautiful finish to the nail paint. The lacquer thinner by Orly is smooth and does not ruin the quality of the nail polish.
- Restores life to thickened polish
- Exclusive built-in dropper
- Made in US
Available in an unbreakable bottle, the product comes with a dropper that makes it easy to apply. While Orly Nail Lacquer Thinner is undoubtedly worth trying, the product has a few drawbacks, as the nail polish might take a longer time to dry after you add this thinner. It also has a strong odor which can be unpleasant for many users.
Why Is It Worth It?
- Cost-Effective: Orly Nail Lacquer Thinner is budget-friendly. It is value for money since only a few drops are required peruse.
- Multipurpose Product: The nail thinner works both as a polish thinner and can be used to clean brushes.
- Simple Effective Formula: Methyl acetate is the critical ingredient that helps to thicken the nail lacquer and restore the original quality.
- It is affordable.
- Orly Nail Lacquer serves two purposes- as a nail polish thinner and can be used to clean brushes.
- The quality of the polish is not compromised after the thinner is added.
- Nail polishes take longer than usual to dry with Orly’s thinner in it.
- Even though methyl acetate is an effective formula for this thinner, it has a strong odor that could be irritating.
LeChat Gel Thinner
The LeChat Gelo Gel Thinner is a non-solvent thinner that aids in bringing the thick consistency of nail polishes. Manufactured by the California-based LeChat company, this thinner works well to make nail polish easy to apply. The gel thinner is packaged with a dropper. Thus, it’s feasible to use with zero wastage.
- Patent Pending product. Restore gel polish that has been thickened
- Maximize the use of all soak-off and traditional curable gel
- Package with dropper for accurate usage
While the thinner emphasizes thinning out gels, it also works great to achieve vibrant consistency in your polish. However, this product is relatively expensive compared to other nail polish thinners. Thus, it might require more drops than what is mentioned in the label to liquefy the polish.
Why Should You Buy It?
Works With Gel Polishes: LeChat Gel Thinners work with almost all brands of gel polishes. It brings back the consistency of the gel nail polishes with no increase in the time taken to cure it.
Non-Solvent Thinner: As a non-solvent thinner, it brings many benefits to the table. Thus, it is easier to work with UV and LED light.
- It is packed with a dropper to make them easy to use.
- Non-solvent thinner.
- It maximizes the use of gel nail polishes and maintains the original curing time.
- More drops of the thinner might be required to liquefy the nail polish.
- LeChat Gel Thinner is expensive compared to other thinners as it uses costlier elements.
- It does not work with regular nail polishes.
Seche Restore Restoration Thinner
The sound-quality nail polish thinner by Seche is undoubtedly a must-try. Seche Restore Restoration Thinner helps to dilute any polish to bring back a consistency that makes it possible to use the polish with the original color and shine. It too comes with a dropper, and adding about 2-3 drops will suffice.
- The packlage dimension of the product is: 4.8"L x5.8"W x11.3"H
The key ingredients used for these thinners are butyl acetate and isopropyl alcohol. Despite how good it works, Seche Restore Restoration Thinner also contains toluene to pose serious health issues. Along with this, these nail thinners do not work with gel polishes, limiting their use to only regular polishes.
Why Should You Buy It?
- Restores The Right Consistency: Formulated with the correct elements, Seche aids to bring back the right consistency of nail polish. Along with doing so, it does not change the original color and shine of the polish.
- Works Well For Top Coat: Seche Restore Restoration Thinner works excellently, especially for the topcoat of nails. It has been recommended to use this product especially for topcoat polishes available by Seche.
- A glass dropper is included, making it easier to use.
- It works with regular polishes and topcoats.
- Original color and shine of polish are maintained.
- It does not work with gel polishes.
- Toluene can lead to serious health affairs.
Super Nail Polish Thinners
The Super Nail Polish Thinners are not only long-lasting but also provide an excellent consistency to give your nails a smooth look. With just a few drops, Super Nail Polish does an admirable job of bringing back the uniformity of nail polish. By adding a few drops of this thinner, your nail polish can get unthickened quickly.
- Excellent for Keeping Nail Polish at its Proper Consistency.Makes it easier to apply nail polish in thin coats.Keeps nail polish consistently smooth.
- Item Package Length: 6.35cm
- Item Package Width: 6.985cm
In helping to maintain the smoothness of the nail polish, this polish thinner is easy to apply. However, even though acetone works to make the product effective, it does reduce the shelf life of the nail polish. This thinner is also prone to cracking and peeling of nails leading to a fade in color.
Why Is It Recommended?
- Smooth Texture: Super Nail Polish Thinners bring back the polish’s good old consistency and smooth the nails.
- Long-lasting: The product is long-lasting, bringing lasting results, leaving customers satisfied with their brand choice. It makes the polishes consistent and fluid over a long period.
- It enhances the nail polish texture.
- Easy to apply.
- It lasts longer than other thinners in the market.
- Acetone can reduce the shelf life of the product.
- The thinner is prone to cracking and peeling easily.
OPI Nail Polish Thinner
OPI Nail Lacquer is an award-winning nail thinner made with only two ingredients: butyl acetate and ethyl acetate. Both these solvents are used for nail care products and are believed to be highly effective and safe to use. They help to restore the firmness of the nail polishes quickly.
- Extends Life Of Favorite Nail Polishes
- Rejuvenates Overworked Polishes
- Maintain Proper Nail Lacquer Consistency
Being easy to apply with just a few drops helps bring a thick consistency to the polish and become more viscous than usual. OPI is a worldwide-known nail brand that transforms expert-like results at home through easy-to-use products. On the other hand, OPI nail lacquer thinner takes longer to work, and since it uses only a few chemicals, it is weaker than other nail thinners.
Why Is It Worth It?
- Effective And Safe To Use: Made with two safe solvents, OPI Nail Thinner effectively restoring the original firmness of polishes instantly.
- Ideal For Vegan Polishes: The thinner is best suited for vegan polishes that use lesser chemicals. This way, it can be a safe option.
- Durable: OPI nail lacquer thinner is long-lasting and brings the ultimate results to restore the consistency and shininess of nail polishes.
- Both Ethyl acetate and Butyl acetate are beneficial for nail care products.
- It is durable and safe to use.
- OPI works well with thick nail polishes.
- It provides salon-like results at home.
- This thinner takes longer to work than others.
- It uses a few chemicals, which makes it weak.
- OPI thinner might become thicker than usual.
- It might require more drops than mentioned in the label.
Mavala Nail Beauty Thinner
Mavala Nail Beauty Thinner helps to restore nail polish with just a few drops. This thinner works to bring back the original consistency of the polish. It also extends the shelf life of nail polishes by using an essential solvent and provides a smooth, shiny texture to the nails.
This scientifically proven, natural Swiss product assures a smooth application that provides an ideal thick consistency to the polish. Mavala nail beauty thinner comes with an in-built dropper that makes it hassle-free to use. Even though this polish is a good-to-go product, it does not work with gel polishes but only with regular polishes.
Why Should You Go For It?
- Retains Original Color: Mavala Nail Beauty Thinner works well to bring back the thick consistency of nail polishes. Along with restoring the original quality, it keeps the color and shine of the polish without changing its form in any way.
- Mavala Nail Beauty Thinner extends the shelf life of nail polish by restoring the original consistency.
- In-built dropper provided, making it easy to use.
- It helps to thicken nail polish and retain the original shine.
- It does not work with gel polishes.
Buying Guide | Nail Polish Thinner
We hope that the products mentioned above have given you clarity about some of the best nail polish thinners. But, if you still want to know more about nail polish thinners before making a final decision, we suggest you go through this buying guide that has been curated just for you!
Advantages & Disadvantages
Nail polish thinners certainly aid in bringing back the consistency of withered nail polishes. These products can last for a long time and are an investment that will help you save expensive polishes from getting wasted.
With different products available at varying prices, these nail thinners become accessible to everyone. Since these popular products require only a few ingredients, there are no harmful chemicals involved and decrease any hazardous health issues.
At the same time, there are disadvantages that you should be aware of. Not all nail thinners are the same, as a few of them work specifically only for gel or regular nail polishes, limiting its usage. At times nail polish thinners have a strong fragrance and can irritate.
It is also essential to use only a few drops of the thinner peruse based on the instructions provided by the brand. If too much is added, then the acetone included in the thinner can have adverse effects of damaging the nail polish and reducing its shelf life.
How to Apply Nail Polish Thinners?
You only need a few drops of nail polish thinner that needs to be added to the nail polish bottle for each use. After applying, please wait for a while to let the thinner sit on the polish and mix well to help it liquefy again. Immediately afterward, roll the nail polish bottle over your palm so that the thinner blends nicely into the polish.
You can check the consistency after this and add more drops of the thinner if it is still thick and dry. Once it is smooth, you can apply the polish to your nails. However, if even after adding quite a few drops of nail polish thinner, your nail polish remains dry and hard to use, it is best to throw it away. While nail polish thinners do their magic to bring back the liquid consistency of dried-up nail polishes, it might not always work.
How to Choose A Nail Polish Thinner?
With so many varieties of nail polish thinners available, you might find yourself confused about which one to choose. In this guide, we will share some factors to consider before purchasing a nail polish thinner.
It is crucial to keep in mind that not all thinners are suitable for all kinds of nail polishes. Different types of nail thinners are used for both gel and regular nail polishes. Problems might arise when you own both types of nail polishes and are unsure about which one to purchase. That is when you can consider opting for a multipurpose thinner that works for any nail polish.
Another factor that you should keep in mind is to go through the ingredients used to make the brand you want to purchase. Doing so will help you make sure you do not buy a thinner that has ingredients that have harmful effects on you.
For example, as we mentioned earlier, acetone, though beneficial for nail thinners, can make nails brittle. Going for a nail polish thinner with an in-built dropper or a separate dropper coming with it will also make it feasible for you to add the exact drops into the nail polish.
Things To Keep In Mind Before Purchasing A Nail Thinner
Finding nail polish thinners is not quite a task, but it is vital to keep a few things in mind before deciding your final pick for a nail polish thinner. First things first, checking the ingredients used for your choice’s brand can help avoid harming your nails. Going for nail thinners made with a vegan formula is beneficial.
Secondly, going for a nail thinner that does not change the color formation or texture of the nail polish will be helpful. It will provide lasting effects and give your nails an original look without any distortion in color or form.
Thirdly, purchasing a nail thinner has a versatile ability to work with different nail polishes and will help you save money and time. This will allow you to buy nail polishes of your choice and kind without compromising ongoing for the ones that will be suitable for the thinners.
Lastly, going for a nail polish thinner with more features can help you keep the worry away from spoiling your nail polishes. For instance, going for the brands that have a dropper with the thinner or the ones that come in reusable bottles can save you from spending extra money.
How Much Does a Nail Polish Thinner Cost?
The price of nail polish thinners can vary depending on the brand you go for. While every thinner brand differs in terms of the ingredients, features, and quality that the product is composed of.
Thinners using more components, such as the one by LeChat, are more expensive. Investing in a nail polish thinner can help save you from wasting many nail polishes that dry up. While some of them are $10 and under, others can be above $ 20 too. We suggest buying a nail polish thinner that does its purpose well is enough.
FAQs | Nail Polish Thinner
What Is Nail Polish Thinner?
Nail polish thinner is made with chemical solutions which help to restore nail polish. As the nail paint becomes dry and too thick to use over time, a thinner helps reduce the thickness by liquefying the nail polish with just a few drops.
Is Nail Polish Thinner The Same Is Acetone?
While both are similar, they are not the same. Acetone and nail polish thinner work to restore the consistency in nail polishes. While acetone is a solvent, nail polish thinners consist of different chemicals to form the final solvents. For this reason, acetone cannot be used as nail polish thinner as it works majorly to remove nail paint from nails.
Where to Buy Nail Polish Thinner?
Nail polish thinners are readily available in beauty product stores and online websites. Along with the official website of the brands selling nail thinners, Amazon and eBay, to name a few, have these products available too.
Can Nail Paint Thinner Be Used in Gel Polish?
You can’t use all nail thinners with gel polish. Before buying a thinner, it is better to go through the features to see if it is fit for gel polishes or not. Gel polish requires heat to thin up with the help of a thinner or acetone. Nail polish thinner for gel polish has specific ingredients that work exclusively to liquify gel polish.
What Is The Difference Between Nail Paint Thinner And Remover?
Nail polish thinner and nail polish remover are not the same and cannot be used interchangeably for the same purpose. The critical difference between them is that nail polish thinner is a chemical solvent used to help restore nail polish. On the other hand, nail polish remover is an organic solvent used to remove already applied nail polish.
One can easily find Nail Polish Thinners in the market, and it’s vital to ensure that the product you choose does not contain harmful ingredients for your nails. A Nail Polish Thinner can do wonders to save your favorite nail polish from drying up and going to waste and restore thickness to the polish. The thinners are indeed worth a try and can help you make your already dried nail polishes alive!
If you are still unsure and have questions before purchasing a Nail Lacquer Thinner, please drop a message in the comments section. We would be happy to serve you and solve your doubts.